Former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows is suing Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the Jan. 6 committee.
Top Democrats and a few anti-Trump Republicans continue their witch hunt known as the Jan. 6 committee.
The committee is investigating the events of January 6, 2021 at the U.S. Capitol, hoping to pin it all on President Trump. Democrats have created a false narrative that the events of January 6 were an organized attempt to overturn the presidential election result.
Citing the FBI officials, an exclusive Reuters report has already shot down this theory.
On the contrary, there is strong evidence that roughly 96% of cases were “one-off incidents” and only 4% could be tied to various militia-type groups. These groups were still not centrally coordinated.
“The FBI has so far found no evidence that he [President Trump] or people directly around him were involved in organizing the violence, according to the four current and former law enforcement officials,” FBI officials told Reuters.
“FBI at this point believes the violence was not centrally coordinated by far-right groups or prominent supporters of then-President Donald Trump,” the report adds.
Despite this vindication for Trump, Democrats have continued to waste taxpayer money with the investigation.
The Jan. 6 select committee is attempting to move forward with contempt proceedings against former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows. Meadows, like several others, have refused to comply with the panel’s subpoena.
Meadows is the third person to face contempt proceedings from the committee.
The committee has also gone after former White House strategist Steve Bannon and former Justice Department official Jeffrey Clark.
In response, Meadows is taking matters into his own hands by announcing his lawsuit against Pelosi and the committee.
Meadows’s lawyers filed a civil complaint filed that argues the select committee does not have the authority to issue the subpoenas directed at him or obtain his phone records from a third party.
“As a result, Mr. Meadows, a witness, has been put in the untenable position of choosing between conflicting privilege claims that are of constitutional origin and dimension and having to either risk enforcement of the subpoena issued to him, not merely by the House of Representatives, but through actions by the Executive and Judicial Branches, or, alternatively, unilaterally abandoning the former president’s claims of privileges and immunities,” the complaint reads.
“Thus, Mr. Meadows turns to the courts to say what the law is,” the complaint says.
More from The Hill:
The lawsuit says Meadows believed the committee would “act in good faith” until he learned over the weekend the lawmakers had subpoenaed Verizon for his personal phone records. The telecommunications company told Meadows in a letter dated Saturday that it would comply with the committee’s subpoena by Dec. 15 unless a court ordered otherwise.
Reps. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) and Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), the chair and vice chair of the House select committee, released a statement Wednesday night saying the lawsuit won’t hamper their work.
“Mr. Meadows’s flawed lawsuit won’t succeed at slowing down the Select Committee’s investigation or stopping us from getting the information we’re seeking,” they said. “The Select Committee will meet next week to advance a report recommending that the House cite Mr. Meadows for contempt of Congress and refer him to the Department of Justice for prosecution.”
Pelosi’s office did not immediately respond when asked for comment.
Meadows’s attorney said on Tuesday that his client would not be appearing for an interview that was scheduled for Wednesday, reversing after a tentative agreement was announced last week for Trump’s top White House aide to provide records and testimony to the panel.
The select committee’s chairman, Thompson, said on Tuesday that the panel would vote in favor of holding his former House colleague in contempt if he didn’t appear for the interview.